So a week has passed since I started my healthy October and I have survived, yay! So in case you missed last week’s post I have decided for four weeks in October to eat better and move more. The first few days were a bit tricky, suffering from headaches, which I am led to believe is from caffeine withdrawal. However, I stuck with it and I am feeling really good actually. Breakfast has been a challenge, eating eggs and mushrooms at 6am is just not appetising to me, I think I may have gone off grilled mushrooms as a result. This needed to be sorted as I just love breakfast so this weekend I have made coco-nutty granola from I Quit Sugar.
What is so good about this is that I will be able to eat it dry on the train or I can have it with a bit of unsweetened almond milk or just sprinkle a little bit on top of a smoothie bowl. I didn’t add any rice malt syrup but don’t feel like it is missing anything. I tasted a little as it came out of the oven and then I had to get D to put it in an airtight container and hide it from me because it tasted so good.
3/4 of a cup is one serving, which looks like a really, nice generous portion. So I am looking forward to munching on this this week.
Coco-Nutty Granola from I Quit Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
- 225g Coconut Flakes
- 280g Cup of roughly chopped, mixed, unsalted nuts – I used a mixture of pecans, almonds and pistachios. Add in some seeds if you like too.
- 2 Tablespoons of Chia Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- Mix it altogether in a bowl and spread it out on a baking tray.
- Pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Leave to cool before storing it in an airtight container.
I think this would be delicious using some oats instead of all the nuts, add some cacao nibs too or cacao powder. That is what I absolutely love about granola, it is so versatile and you can just adjust it to whatever you have in your cupboard.